January 28, 2011

The Clouds Part and Angels Sing

Acting Journal
1/28/11

Wow. Today's class was both depressing and amazing. We got with a partner and shared a sad experience from the past. We had to take note of the story, the inflection, word choice, and gestures. Then we had to switch stories.

In front of the class.

We had to pretend as if that incredibly painful story from someone else's past was our own. There was so much pressure to do it right. I didn't want to mess up. The other person was in the room with me. How would it be if I did it wrong? If I didn't treat the story with respect and dignity? They would feel terrible. And so would I.

And that children, is what acting is.

We were asked why we had never done that with a script before. I was shocked, because it hadn't even occured to me. Every script, every character is someone with a story that needs to be treated with respect and dignity. It would be shameful to make a mockery of a script or to be insincere.

I feel like this is the biggest lesson I've learned so far. I'm so thankful to Ivan for having us do this. I will try and implement this the next time I go through a script.

No comments:

Post a Comment